I often wondering if other women in tech wonder some of the things that I do.
To find out I’m building a running list of random things I’ve thought that I’m pretty sure my male colleagues never have.
A list of “Open Bubbles” started May 01, 2014:
- Is it really that hard to put the seat down?
- It takes me an hour to blow dry my hair completely dry. I wash my hair at least three times a week. I basically lose three hours a week from work just blow drying my hair. Over the course of a month this means the founders of my competitive companies each get 12 more hours a month to work. I’d be embarrassed if I were them…we’re still totally kicking their ass. I wonder how much further ahead I could get us if I didn’t to blow dry my hair?
- Stop asking me about kids. I have baby. Can’t you see it’s my company?
- I have the most Mexican name. Why do people never guess or think I’m Mexican?
- Would people still work for me if I randomly got pregnant?
- Chick needs to grow-up and realize real women empower each other not act like catty colleague sorority girls.
- Dudes are buzzed. If I got buzzed at this event I’d look like a lush but they get to look like bonding startup bros.
- Is the situation really that bad or is it that time of the month?
- I’ve had four meetings with this dude and now he wants another. Oh, crap! I’m building a business relationship and I think he thinks we’re dating. How do I check this fast without looking like an ass?
- Stop whining about how long your day was. I’ve been going just as long as you have and I’ve been doing it in four inch stilettos.
- On a scale of one to ten how many people in this presentation will notice if my nail polished is chipped?
- I’m in dress and heels and moving huge boxes back and forth in a room full of dudes and no one offers to help. What the hell is wrong with them? Oh wait, are they thoughtless asses or awesome for seeing me as an equal and not needing help?
- Why does just about every male founder I know have a picture of themselves at a concert, game, beach, party, etc. with their arms wide open? We get it you have testosterone. If I took that same picture I’d look like an idiot or conceited (but mostly an idiot).
- Shit, I think the front clasp to my bra just came undone. Stop moving and get through this presentation.